Jan 28, 2009

Dust Theme 0.3.0



There have been (and still is) much talk about the Ubuntu theme. The dark Dust theme is loved by many users. Dust is a concept for a new, refreshing look for Ubuntu. The idea was to take the defining aesthetic elements of Ubuntu and remix it into something clean, modern, functional, and unique.

New stuff:
* Dropped Aurora support, sorry. I'll get it back when I get some time.
* Cleaned up a lot of code.
* Now uses the clearlooks engine, and uses the murrine engine (tested with rev136) ONLY in the checkboxes and menuitems. I'd like to stay away from murrine until it gets stable.

The theme is currently being worked on by Rico Sta. Cruz and Kido Mariano, but sadly Rico Sta. made this announcement on the ubuntu-artwork mailinglist today:
After this release I think I'm going to stop working on the theme for a while.

Rico Sta. is one of the most talented artists in the Linux community. He also provided the Ibex for the wallpaper used in Ubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex

The 0.2 series is still available for download. Grab the 0.3.0 release here...

2 comments:

  1. I'm more interested in the font used in the image -- I love it. Dark themes aren't really my cup of tea, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The font that was used in the mockups is proprietary, sorry. As an alternative, Rico suggest Droid: http://dump.ambiescent.com/i/dust-droid-1.png The settings to get full antialiasing is to check "subpixel rendering (LCDs)" with hinting as "None" (which I assume is what you're looking for!)

    ReplyDelete