Arista Transcoder is an easy to use multimedia transcoder for the GNOME Desktop. Arista focuses on being easy to use by making the complex task of encoding for various devices simple. Pick your input, pick your target device, choose a file to save to and go.
The 0.8 release is the first public release and includes a to-do of items that will be completed for the 1.0 final release. All development will happen on Launchpad, which provides bug tracking, distributed version control, milestone / roadmap planning and tracking, a forum and translation utilities.
* Presets for iPod, computer, DVD player, PSP, and more
* Live preview to see encoded quality
* Automatically discover available DVD drives and media
* Rip straight from DVD media easily (requires libdvdcss)
* Simple terminal client for scripting
Jaunty is the first release that supports everything needed to run Arista (GTK+ 2.16, latest GStreamer libraries, etc.). Make sure you have all the GStreamer plugins installed (including those in Multiverse!)
The author Daniel G. Taylor is looking for any feedback and/or help others can provide.
More info here: http://programmer-art.org/projects/arista-transcoder