Apr 22, 2009

What Do You Do After A Fresh Install?

With only one day until the release of Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope), I guess it's time ask the traditional question - What Do You Do After A Fresh Install?

Every six months the answers vary just a little. Here's my list for Jaunty in no particular order:


- Enable automatic GDM login
- Change the theme to Dust
- Disable audio preview in Nautilus
- Enable backspace in Firefox
- Set downloads to "Close it when all downloads is finished" in Firefox
- Import Firefox bookmarks
- Enable Multiverse Repositories
- Install ubuntu-restricted-extras
- Install Gstreamer Extra Plugins
- Install applications I use --> Advanced CCSM, Ubuntu Tweak, Wine, Skype and Word 2007

If you have any other things that you do after installing a fresh copy of Ubuntu that you would like to share, then please leave a comment!

3 comments:

  1. you missed the utorrent. it is really good one and fast while it is used with wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I do a fresh install I:
    Install ndisgtk and wireless driver so I can go wireless
    I change my font settings back to how they were in Intrepid
    I change my theme to dust, and change my background to the official dust one
    I remove all the applications I don't need
    I add all the PPA's I want and update my system fully
    I configure Firefox back to how I like it, and install the relevant add-ons
    and lots more ^_^

    Anyway, I'm glad you like to use Ubuntu Tweak :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, how do you install ndistk in 9.04?

    ReplyDelete